Monday 20 February 2012

Creating a Gift

Whether it's for the hostess or a special gift for a friend or relative, this Card Gift Case is sure to be appreciated.  I love making 3-D projects and so possible projects are forever incubating in my busy brain.  Yesterday I suddenly had a "vision" of a cute Card Gift Case and, of course, I had to try to make it a reality.

I had bought the Twitterpated DSP when it was first introduced but hadn't used much of it in any projects.  The darker flower pattern, with the Basic Grey as a background, had been left untouched.  This time I decided to use it, not only as the main focal point, but also to decide the colours of cardstock which I would use in the project.

It was easy enough to choose the colours listed for the DSP.  The Riding Hood Red cardstock was a perfect match as were the Basic Grey cardstock and the Blushing Bride cardstock.  When it came to the suggested Baja Breeze, I came to a standstill.  The dye colour in my DSP was in no way related to the Baja Breeze.  Actually the only cardstock that didn't "fight" with the blue in the DSP was the Marina Mist, and so I went with that choice.  Every light source (and even my camera) confirmed that this was the right match.

I had decided to use 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" cards and the matching envelopes (5 3/4" x 4 3/8") in this project therefore I knew that the Card Gift Case had to be larger than the envelopes in order to fit everything easily.  I also knew that I had to allow some space in each pocket as well.  The following template allowed for easy closing of the Gift Card Case as well as easy insertion of the cards and the envelopes.
The broken lines on the template denote scoring lines.

I used the Marina Mist for the 6" x 9 1/4" cardstock and then cut another piece the same size in the Twitterpated DSP.  I scored both as shown in the template.  Because I find nothing sticks better than the Sticky Tape, I used that along the sides and also in the centre between the fold lines.  Lining the two up was one of the most challenging portions of this project.  Once the Sticky Tape sticks, it won't let go so be very careful doing this step.

I chose to do one pocket on the inside in Marina Mist cardstock and the other pocket in the Twitterpated DSP.  Really, it's anyone's choice here, as is the addition of the scalloped edge.  You can see where the pocket has two scored lines along three edges.  This is necessary in order to give sufficient depth to the pockets so that cards or envelopes can fit inside without ripping the pocket or bulging out.  Again, I used Sticky Tape along the 1/4" fold so that the pockets would be permanent and not give during the insertion of the cards or envelopes.


The rest...the "bling" and the decorations are up to the individual.  I can see where this would have a totally different personality if it had been done in, for example, the Well Worn DSP or another DSP.  I love the old-fashioned "feel" that this Twitterpated DSP gives my project, but I can see myself doing it again in totally different paper.

I chose to do the cards using the same Twitterpated DSP, having each card's main cardstock in a different colour within the Twitterpated DSP.  Therefore one card has Basic Grey as its main background colour:
 
Another card has Riding Hood Red as its main background colour:
And the last card has the Marina Mist as its main background colour:
Even with the added layers and "bling", the cards fit easily into the Card Gift case and it closed nicely.  To make sure it stayed shut, a person could add a ribbon at the centre bottom front and back and tie it closed with a pretty bow or even put a velcro spot or magnet on the inside centre of the pockets to keep it closed.

I left mine without any "closure" since it stays nice and flat and shut without help.

I hope you'll enjoy making your own version of this Card Gift Case.  Blessings to all. :)

6 comments:

  1. Hi! These are great! I found your post on Stampin Connection and wanted to see it all here. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful set! You do fabulous work!! Thank you for taking the time to share your instructions. You are very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the lovely compliment! I loved making the set and now I'm working on a couple of new colours so that I can give my class a choice of which style they want to make.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful card gift case, Heidi! I came here from the LNS thread on SC! Your blog is fantastic :)
    ~Deborah Smart www.stampandcreatewithdeborah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful project! Would you be able to email me the template? I have tried to copy and print it, but it just won't work for some reason. I can't wait to CASE this for my next class. The ladies are going to love it! Thank you so much. cmkrauch@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome to CASE if you'll give me credit, please, Cindi. I'll email you the full file...you're probably having problems since I only post small files to my blog.

    ReplyDelete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.