Wednesday 23 January 2013

By the Tide---revisited

By now you know that By the Tide is one of the stamp sets in the Spring Catalogue that immediately caught my attention and I knew I had to have it.  I loved making the previous card using vellum and, of course, the little milk cartons with the fish were darling.  Today I decided to use Glossy White cardstock.



For those of you that haven't had a chance to use the Glossy White cardstock, you really should try it sometime.  It captures the image from the stamp beautifully and also heat embosses very nicely, allowing a lot of detail to show.  (You know how, on some papers, the heat embossing seems to make the lines less clear? Well, that doesn't happen with the Glossy White.)

The first thing I did was to stamp the coral with Versamark and then powdered it with the Early Espresso embossing powder (so glad they added the colour in the Winter Mini) and shook off the extra.  Even before applying the heat, I could see the coral was going to be very detailed.  The heat just made it seem to come to life.  Already I was loving this card and I really hadn't done much---yet.

Next, I stamped the shell with Crumb Cake ink and let that dry.  Then I sponged the Glossy White with Pool Party ink, avoiding the shell as best I could.  The last bit of stamping I did on the Glossy White was to stamp the poem twice in Pool Party ink, staggered, across the top.  Then I used my Stampin' Markers to colour the shell.  The great quality of the Glossy White is that it "grabs" the colour permanently when you stamp, so the Crumb Cake didn't smudge at all when I coloured the shell using my Blush Blossom and River Rock markers.

I stamped the fish on Brushed Silver cardstock using black StazOn and then coloured it and hand-cut it so that I could mount it above the coral with dimensionals.  The little air bubbles turned out perfectly using Crystal Effects mixed with one drop of Island Indigo re-inker.

That's about it.  The rest is Island Indigo cardstock, Early Espresso Core'dinations, some Linen thread and a couple of round punches.


I think I like this one even better than the one with the vellum.  What do you think?

8 comments:

  1. Love your by the sea card Hiedi it is so cute.
    love Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card! I don't have this set, but I absolutely love what you've done with it. Thanks for sharing your project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love both of your cards, especially that gorgeous fish on the silver. My husband is addicted to fishing like I am to stamping so I just have to have this set. I particularly like your heat embossing on this one & the wood grain too. Ok, I just love it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the fishing husband. I am so very acquainted with the type. Mind you, I spend as much time with my cards as he does, tying his flies. Thanks so much, you'll enjoy using the set---and your husband will love the cards made with it.

      Delete
  4. How funny, my husband too spends hours tying his flies. They are a rare lot these fly fishermen. He has now started teaching my daughter the art of fly tying & she loves it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually a very intricate craft and will help her to fine-tune her hand-eye coordination. I love some of the designs my husband ties, both for the colours used and for the similarity to the real insect. It's an art and art in any form is so satisfying, isn't it?

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.