Saturday 18 January 2014

Matching the new with the "old"

Okay, the Papaya Collage stamp set isn't precisely old.  It is, however, in its second year with Stampin' Up! so it isn't precisely new, either.  It's a very elegant set.  For me it carries elements of Victorian glamour and just begs to be used in a more vintage style of card.

That's what I aimed for with this card, using a base of Early Espresso cardstock and then layers of Very Vanilla and Crumb Cake cardstocks.  For the first layer of Very Vanilla, I used Primrose Petals and Early Espresso inks to stamp the leaves and rose all over (after off-stamping to give a very light image) and then used my distressing tool to age the edges before lightly sponging them with the Early Espresso ink.  For my next layer of Crumb Cake, I used Primrose Petals ink to stamp the frame and Early Espresso ink to stamp the leaves.  Then I ran the cardstock through my Big Shot using the Fancy Fan embossing folder.  To better define the inside of the frame, I used some household bleach and an artist's brush.  I love the deep vanilla of the bleached out area, don't you?

I used the Papillon Potpourri stamp set and the Primrose Petals ink for two butterflies and punched them out using the matching Elegant Butterfly punch.  Then I sponged some Early Espresso around their edges and painted a line of Crystal Effects down their centres to define their bodies.

Finally I used that terrific new tool, the Spiral Flower Originals die and some Primrose Petals cardstock.  I used my Bone Folder to break down the stiff cardstock considerably and also "scrunched" the cardstock a bit to give it more texture.  Then I simply rolled the flower and used hot glue to set the blossom.  The finished flower is gorgeous and I can see myself making many more for many, many projects.  Talk about an easy way to make an awesome flower!


This card doesn't have a sentiment and I'm not sure that I'm going to bother with one.  It looks perfect the way it is.  Can't you imagine giving this card for a birthday, Mother's Day or an Anniversary?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.