Monday 6 October 2014

Believe --- HSSSC195

*Thrilled that this card is an Artist Pick at Hand Stamped Sentiments!*

When I saw the sketch challenge at Hand Stamped Sentiments, I knew I would enter a card in the challenge.  It's a simple sketch, which is always a great way to add a lot of imagination.


I've been making a lot of Hallowe'en cards lately and therefore I decided I would love the change of pace of a Christmas Card.  All the stores have already stocked up their shelves with Christmas decorations, after all.  I'm just waiting for the first Christmas Carol to play on their sound systems.  

But making Christmas cards is NOT jumping the gun.  After all, you have to get that stash put together somehow so that you have enough to send out to your list of friends and acquaintances, right?  

For my card I decided to use some of that wonderful All is Calm Specialty Design Series Paper.  The pattern I chose had a mixture of Whisper White, Soft Sky and Lost Lagoon and that pulled all the rest of my colours together.  I chose to make my base in Naturals White and then added a layer of Lost Lagoon.  For the left side I used the piece of All is Calm paper.  For the right side I decided on Soft Sky and proceeded to stamp it using Lost Lagoon ink and images from the White Christmas stamp set. 

Above the trees that I had stamped, I punched out stars using my new Confetti Stars punch.  I had to punch the top from each side to get the entire width filled with stars.  Then I cut a small piece of Silver Foil and adhered it behind the punched out stars so that they would appear to be silver.  As a special touch I punched out a Silver Foil star and used a Dimensional to place it among the confetti stars.  That gave a focal point at which the little stamped snowman appeared to be gazing.  I coloured the snowman with my Signo White ballpoint pen and added some white to the birches with the pen as well.  Then I used my Stampin' Markers to colour his carrot nose, scarf and hat.

With both sides adhered to the Lost Lagoon layer, I had to decide what to do about the decorative border between the two sides.  That's where the All is Calm Designer Washi Tape came to mind.  With a strip of the striped silver on one side and the Lost Lagoon snowflake pattern on the other, I knew the card was almost complete.  And so I glued a line of the snowflakes from the Frosted Sequin Embellishments down the centre of the two Washi tapes.  Since I don't like those little holes in the sequins, I covered them with the smallest of the Rhinestones.

For my sentiment I used the Believe from the hostess Good Greetings stamp set.  As you can see, I heat embossed it using my Silver embossing powder.  The silver compliments the other silvers on the card so nicely, doesn't it?

 

For more cards using this sketch, check out the Hand Stamped Sentiments challenge.

For more outdoorsy Christmas cards, check out Festive Friday.

For more layered Christmas cards, check out the Christmas Card Challenge.

18 comments:

  1. Wow, this is just beautiful! I love the sweet little snowman scene, and then you've added so many beautiful layered details without adding too much bulk. I love the neat row of snowflakes down the middle. Thanks for playing the sketch challenge at HSS! ~ Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Erika. I really appreciate all your wonderful comments. I enjoy playing at HSS.

      Delete
  2. Loverly card must try this one Heidi thanks so much for the idea
    Lv Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Marilyn. I'm looking forward to seeing your version.

      Delete
  3. So pretty - lovely, soothing colours and the shimmer of the stars is gorgeous! So glad you joined us at Festive Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ardyth. I really appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  4. Very Pretty!!! Love the soft color combo!!! Great use of dsp!!! Love all the special accents- stars, snowflakes, embossing, washi tape, and the white gel pen. All comes together Beautiful!!! Thanks for playing along with HSS, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Diane. Your comments mean a great deal to me.

      Delete
  5. Such a beautiful frosty Christmas card! Lovely colors and design! So glad you joined us at Festive Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card! There are so many fabulous details...love how you incorporated the snowflakes into the sketch! Thanks for playing along with us at HSS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the wonderful comments, Breelin.

      Delete
  7. What a fun card! I love how you used the ds paper. I can't wait to play with my confetti stars punch. Love your use of the silver foil paper behind it. So glad you played with us this week at HSS.

    Robbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Robbie. I wasn't sure I'd like the confetti stars punch but am using it quite a bit. The variety of star sizes makes the cut outs really interesting. I love the HSS challenges.

      Delete
  8. This is so wintry and lovely! Really, really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Becca. I really appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  9. Oh, what lovely colors!!! And it has such a soft and delicate look…perfect for a peaceful Christmas greeting! Thanks so much for joining us at Festive Friday!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Geri. That's one of my favourite patterns from the All is Calm designer paper. I could be happy with a whole package of that design.

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.