Monday 13 July 2015

WCC28 -- Thanks!











I love colour challenges and so I was excited about the new Watercooler Challenge.  Buffy's five-colour challenge, because two of the colours were relatively close shades, presented an additional challenge.  But before I get carried away with all that, let me show you the colours.

I love the colours individually but together they gave me a bit of trouble.  I'll admit that a couple of times I muttered at an invisible Buffy:  "Where's my yellow?"  or  "Green---I need a green!"  But those were the creative "growing pains" that everyone goes through.  I finally decided to keep it very simple and so my card was born.

I began with a base of the new heavy-weight Whisper White which I love.  If you haven't tried it, you're missing out on some great paper.  My next layer is a plain piece of Rose Red and then I added a layer of Whisper White which I had first stamped using Pink Pirouette, Wisteria Wonder and Pool Party and the Work of Art stamp set and then embossed using the new Elegant Dots embossing folder.  You'll have noticed that I used four of the colours quite easily getting to this point.

I had plans for the final colour, too.  I love the look of the Melon Mambo and so had decided to use my Little Letters Thinlets to cut out T H A N K S from the cardstock.  To mount the letters across the arc of colours, I cut strips from the edges of my Dimensionals so that they would be elevated.  It looked great and I was happy with my project.


That's when I ran into the additional challenge which I mentioned at the beginning of my post.  The camera, no matter how much light I used, would not capture the difference between the Rose Red and the Melon Mambo.  I liked the card but, really, could just as easily have used four colours and no-one would have known the difference.  I put my project aside to fret a bit.  

Well, fretting brought me to "take two" in the challenge of using Buffy's colours.  I took a piece of Whisper White, stamped it several times using Melon Mambo ink and the beehive image from the Butterfly Basics stamp set and then, after the ink had fully dried and set, added a watercolour wash in Melon Mambo.  When that had fully dried, I knew the camera would capture the difference easily and so I cut the letters.  To attach them to the already-mounted letters, I brushed on some Crystal Effects and then, for good measure after I had put the new letters in place, covered them with Crystal Effects as well.  

While that dried I played around with the left-over bits of stamped cardstock and my Confetti Stars Border punch.  I took the best of the punched out stars and scattered them on the card.  Finally---finished!  And I was right.  The camera had no problems with the new look of the colours.


So which one do you like better?  Come on over to the Watercooler Challenge and try your hand at the colours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.