Thursday 23 June 2016

The Swing Easel - Fun with Sizes

I discovered the Swing Easel card when I came across a card posted by the talented Amanda Bates, but when I found her instructions, I discovered that all her measurements are in metric and the card size is different from our "normal" sizes.  And so I've adapted the card to measure 5 12" x 5 1/2" when folded.  I have also adapted it to measure our "normal" 4 1/4" x 5 1/2".  Join me today as I lead you through both sizes with accompanying photos and instructions.


For my 5 1/2" x 4 1/4" card, I've used the In the Meadow stamp set because it fits the smaller easel much better.  This card fits perfectly into the standard sized Stampin' Up! envelope.  You can see the way the card folds and how the centre has been cut so that it can "swing" up and stand like an easel.  It looks difficult but if you have a good paper cutter, it's really quite simple.  I am, of course, using Stampin' Up!'s Stampin' Trimmer which allows me to score and cut easily.

I began with this template.  My cardstock measured 8 1/2" x 5 1/2".


Note that the broken lines indicate score lines while the solid, red lines indicate cut lines.

My first score line was at 4 1/4".

After that I cut along the red indicated lines.  PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU STOP YOUR CUT ALONG THE SIDE AT THE 2 1/8" POINT.  This is measured from the centre fold (4 1/4" score line).


You can see the score lines and cut lines on my base cardstock of Heavy Whisper White.


This is the Heavy Whisper White with the sides folded along the score lines.  Basically you will fold a "mountain", a "valley", and then another "mountain".  You can see already how the centre cut area is free to swing as you open the card to stand it as an easel.


This is the inside of the card.  You can see how the easel works from underneath.  I've made this into a birthday card, leaving one "word bubble" empty so that a personal greeting can be written inside.


This is the same card from the front.  I love the 3-D effect, don't you?


And this is the card closed for mailing.  A perfect 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" card.

* * * * * * * * * * 

You'll remember the card I posted last week for our Blog Hop, featuring that great new Country Livin' stamp set.  I used the 5 1/2" x 5 1/2" measurements for this card.  Really, it needed that additional sizing which a square offers.


This is the template for the 5 1/2" x 5 1/2" card.


I began with a piece of cardstock measuring 5 1/2" x 11".  My first score line was at 5 1/2".

After that it was just a matter of following the cut lines and score lines exactly as shown for the 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" card.


Good luck with your Swing Easel card(s).  If you have any questions or problems, just let me know.

14 comments:

  1. Amazing!!!! Totally going to CAS this layout and possibly design...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your In The Meadow one too Heidi..... Fabulous... And you have just given me another idea! May the creative circle keep going....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda. I love when we can inspire each other.

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love this card. Thank you so much for sharing the details. What color did you make the deer? Is this done with an aqua painter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. All the colouring is done with my Aqua Painter and inks. The doe has a wash of Tip Top Taupe while the fawn has a wash of Crumb Cake.

      Delete
  4. Love love your card can't wait to make it Heidi
    LV Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marilyn. I hope your husband loves the card. I'll be interested in seeing your version. :)

      Delete
  5. Those cards are absolutely beautiful! TY so much for sharing and for posting/sharing the templates and instructions too! I can't wait to give this a try! Thank you, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna. They're fun to make. And, actually, our trimmer makes the cutting and scoring easy.

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing your easel card templates. I'm in Texas, I believe the Country Livin' card being used many times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I love the images for this stamp set and am sure you'll use it a lot.

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing your cards and instructions. I can only hope I will be able to make one😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Heidi. I have In the Meadow stamp set but have never used it I love your card and must give it a try. What backing paper did you use please?

    ReplyDelete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.