Wednesday 12 April 2017

Watercooler Wednesday Challenge #114 - Penny's Colour Challenge


Penny is hosting a wonderful colour challenge this week!  The colours are bright and make me smile.  The picture she chose for her challenge is perfect!


Well, when I read that sentiment included in Penny's picture, I felt that was a challenge in itself.  I worked hard to think outside the box for this one and, in the end, wound up not only using all three challenge colours in cardstock but in ink as well.  All in all I used more stamp sets than I thought I would.  But when you consider that all the backgrounds are stamped rather than Designer Paper, it becomes easier to understand.


While the fold I've used is a simple "Z" fold, I decided that I wanted my dragonfly to extend out from the fold and so I only cut it partially into the Heavy Whisper White cardstock, stopping at the fold.  That way the wing is out when the card is closed but moves back into the cut as the card is opened.  I love the effect.  I cut a second dragonfly from Island Indigo cardstock and attached it to the stamped, partially cut dragonfly only along the body.

For my background on the front half of the card, I stamped the dots from the Dragonfly Dreams set randomly using Pool Party off-stamped once to mute the colour.  Then I used the Garden in Bloom set, off-stamping the images once before adding the large and small images of flowers randomly.  For my background on the inside half of the card, I again stamped the dots from the Dragonfly Dreams set randomly with the off-stamped Pool Party.  Then I used the flourish from the Timeless Textures set and randomly stamped it using Island Indigo off-stamped once to mute the colour.

Of course I couldn't just leave the card with one dragonfly but didn't want to use another large one.  And so I cut several strips of the small connected dragonflies and then just cut them into individual dragonflies.  The size was exactly right for what I envisioned.

I also added a stitched oval in Whisper White with a splash of Pool Party watercoloured across the centre.  With a matte of Pool Party cut with the scalloped Oval die, it fit beautifully inside my card.  Along the perimeter I added a large Calypso Coral flower as well as a smaller one, both cut with the Botanical Builder framelits.


If you look carefully at the first fold, you can see where the wing is cut into the cardstock.  This also shows the background stamping.


This is what the card looks like folded shut and ready for an envelope.  

I hope you enjoyed my card.  Now it's time to check out the wonderful cards created by the other Watercooler Artists.  I hope you'll be inspired to add your own creation to our Watercooler Wednesday Challenge link this week.

5 comments:

  1. Heidi, what a beautiful card. You have made the dragonflys Pop with this card fold. Good idea of making the individual dragonflys. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Heather. I've been using that connected bunch of dragonflies singly for several cards and love their size. While the connected group looks very pretty, I prefer them singly for the most part. It's a die-set I'm experimenting with quite a bit.

      Delete
  2. Heidi your card is simply magical! From the softly stamped background and mixture of stamps to the bold flowers and Dragonfly, I'm totally enchanted. I really like the splash of Pool Party on the Whisper White Oval, it looks like a mirror reflection in the photo. Such a great card! You've inspired me to ink up my Dragonfly set and use my Botanical dies again. Love them both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Penny. It's funny but I love the Dragonfly Dreams bundle from the moment I saw it but it took me a while to warm up to it. Now that I'm using the connected group singly, I'm finding more inspiration. The Botanical dies works so well with so very much but is, alas, going away. I can't help but mourn their retirement.

      Delete
  3. Love love love your card Heidi with its fancy fold and 3 dimensional dragonfly! A great showcase for designing ones' own pattern paper with stamping! Certainly did a fabulous job showcasing Penny's colours. :)

    ReplyDelete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.