Monday 25 September 2017

Simplicity and elegance

I love all sorts of techniques and styles of cards.  Every once in a while I like to go back to the basics and simply stamp.  My favourite, when I'm in this mood, is to keep it clean and simple.  To me that means having a great deal of lovely, open space so that the focal point, the image which I wish to spotlight, takes all one's attention.

Orchids, by their very nature, command a lot of attention.  They are not a shy and retiring flower.  For them it's the spotlight every time.  What better image, then, for my clean and simple card, than the orchid?

On a piece of Watercolour paper I stamped my orchid three times, the third time, having masked the second orchid so that the third appears to be slightly behind that bloom.  I used Fresh Fig ink for each image.  It's a good, strong colour and is common to many orchids.  Once the ink had dried I used my Powder Pink marker to colour in the centre of the orchid petals, leaving the outside portion white.  For the very centre of the orchid I first coloured it in using Crushed Curry and then went over that with my Wink of Stella.  I added sections of stem freehand using Soft Suede and then added some Old Olive.

For my sentiment I turned to Soft Suede and then added Crushed Curry freehand.


My inspiration for this card came from three challenges.  First I followed sketch 21 from "Less is More" #347

The images are from Addicted to CAS #120 which called for florals


And finally the sentiment is from Inspirational Challenge #144 which is all about "hello"


16 comments:

  1. awesome stamping and well done on combining all those challenges ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous card ! Love this trio of orchids and especially the colours you chose ! As you say, this sketch and your CAS design spotlight them ! A fabulous take on our challenge. Thanks for sharing and for playing along at Less is More !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Izzy. I don't use the orchids set as frequently as I thought I would but each time I do, I fall in love with the images all over again.

      Delete
  3. Well done with masking and coloring! The orchid image is beautiful, I think I haven't seen these stamps before, really pretty! Thanks for joining us at Less Is More and Inkspirational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Nonni. It's a new stamp set brought out in this year's annual catalogue by SU!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful stamping. Thanks for sharing at CAS on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card, Heidi. Your inking and orchids are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stylish, classy and so elegant. Beautiful colours and inky blended background with such neat masking too. Thanks for joining us at Less is More x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I love clean and simple---the challenge to bring it right down to the basics and yet still make a statement helps improve my focus.

      Delete
  7. Those orchids are really the star of the show. Love the open space so that the flowers shine. Great masking and strong and beautiful colours x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Mac. The images really are beautiful--love the stamp set.

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.