Monday 19 March 2018

Experimenting with colours

Sometimes it's fun to simply grab a few products and have some fun.  No challenges.  No time constraints.  No agenda.  Just some fun experimenting with colours. 

For what I had in mind, a landscape of sorts, I decided to use the Nature Sings stamp set as well as my Brushos.  I haven't played with those Brushos enough.  There are so many ways to use them.  Instead of shaking loose some crystals and spraying them with water, or variations of that technique, I decided to treat them as watercolours.  I took my paint palette and added a tiny layer of crystals to the bottom of three of the little "bowls" and then added just a bit of water.  My chosen colours for this experiment were Emerald Green, Aquamarine, and Moss Green.

Before I began using my Brushos, however, I stamped the image of the trees and the image of the two reindeer onto my watercolour paper.  I decided to use the Basic Black Archival ink since it doesn't "bleed" into the watercolours.

From there I freehanded my scene using a flat square end brush, laying in a wash with a hint of Aquamarine for the sky and then a darker sweep of Aquamarine for the stream.  The Aquamarine didn't hold any surprise colours for me and I loved the way it became deeper in colour with each additional layer. 

The Moss Green was another story entirely.  It had hints of browns, tans, yellows and greens which all came into play as I set down my hills, rises and meadows.  I had swept colour right over the stamped trees, knowing that I could add Emerald Green to bring out the details.  I avoided colouring in the reindeer, however, because I wanted to stick to the clearer colours of my inks to add details to them using a fine pointed round head.  For that my inks were Soft Suede and some Sahara Sand.

The picture turned out reasonably well.  I can see where my weaknesses are.  But the Brushos are a product which will be interesting to try in more and different ways.  I look forward to it.


My sentiment is from the retired Remember This Project Life set.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.