Saturday 4 February 2012

The "How-To's" of Hemp

I've used the Baker's Twine to loop around the centre of a punched out butterfly to give it the illusion of a body and antennae but it's a bit droopy.  I've also been eyeing the Hemp Twine in the catalogue because I thought I could use a sponge and ink on it to make it any colour I wanted and it looked as if it would have more body.  Well, I was right.  It definitely has more body!  Compared to the Baker's Twine, it stands at attention and waits for a command. ;)

I decided to try it on a card just to see what it was like using it.  I wasn't using butterflies but it's not like that's the only way to use twine, after all.  In this case I thought it might make a unique border but it didn't have enough presence.  One strand was simply too thin to make it as a border.  So I cut three strands and proceeded to braid the strands loosely.  The result was exactly the right finishing touch for my card.  I'm going to use the Hemp Twine a lot in the future!

I love the way the braided hemp surrounds the Very Vanilla.  I stamped the VV first with my large Net Stamp using Crumb Cake ink, then I used my large Scallop Circle Punch to cut a medallion of that beautiful Everyday Enchantment DSP (I'll miss it when Sale-a-bration is over) and used my 2 1/2" Circle Punch for the Soft Suede backing.  All in all I'm very happy with the results.

4 comments:

  1. Very pretty Heidi! Welcome to the world of blogging! Thanks for stopping by my blog... to answer your question, the elegant bird die cut fits exactly on a standard A2 card (4-1/4" x 5-1/2"). I think you'll find that it is a tight fit, but it does work! Hugs, and best of luck with your new blogging venture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Idea, Heidi!

    Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm following you now too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the hemp twine and use it constantly, but I never thought to braid it. That will be a perfect border on the Open Seas stamp!
    Oh the printed page on that set is a passenger list. One of those things that genealogists just love to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that set!!! I only bought it recently and yet have already made over a half dozen varied cards with it. Together or apart, the different stamps are terrific! I agree, braided hemp would work beautifully with that set. Now you've gotten my juices flowing...

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.