Tuesday 18 September 2012

Gobble! Gobble!

I'm taking a short break from Christmas and Hallowe'en to play with the fall theme.  I took a walk this morning and was shocked to see how many of the trees are showing yellows, oranges and reds among their green foliage.  Even though it has been gorgeous and sunny here, Mother Nature is reminding us that Fall is only days away.

We had a Regional Meeting in Millet, Alberta just over a week ago and had a lot of fun assembling a Fall Frame.  Simply, this is a picture frame that has been disassembled, had twine pulled across it, and then had eight little tags hung from the twine. My daughter and I didn't get ours finished while in Millet but we did stamp our tags with the various stamps so that we could assemble it later at home.  On the drive home we were excited about the frame but then also began thinking about changes we might want to make since ours were still in pieces.  One change we both agreed on was to paint the inside of the frame black so that it didn't look unfinished.

I'm not going to go through the various tags right now, but I am posting the frame so that what I'm talking about isn't altogether too confusing.


The original in Millet did not have the glass put back into the frame but because I intend to display the frame and have two adventurous cats, having a glass front seemed the way to go.  The back is simply my wall colour.

In the top row I made two changes from the original.  The second tag over now sports a family picture along with the acorns and I think it's perfect.  The third tag along the top row has the cutest turkey on it.  Originally it was supposed to have three stamped ears of corn but my corn did not cooperate and by the time I got the pieces home I realized that I would only see the mistakes rather than the rest of the good tags in the frame.  Of course that meant I had to change it.  I left everything in the tag the same except that I traded out the stamped corn for a turkey made with one of my favourite punches, the Owl Builder Punch.  That punch has to be one of the most versatile that Stampin' Up! has created.  And, unlike the rest of the punches, it has no supporting stamp sets.  I absolutely love the punch!

So...how did the owl suddenly turn into a turkey?  It was surprisingly easy.

First of all I punched the owl out of Soft Suede cardstock.  Since a turkey doesn't have pointy ears, I used my snips to carefully cut those off, following the natural round lines of the owl.  The vest was punched out of the More Mustard Designer Paper as was the first arc of the tail (punched with the new 1 1/4" scallop punch).  The next arc of the tail was cut out of Early Espresso with the Mini Doilies Sizzlet Die.  The largest arc of the tail was cut out of the Soft Suede Designer Paper with the 2 3/8" Scallop Punch.  For the eyes I used the Owl Builder Punch and cut tiny Basic Black circles, medium Whisper White circles and one Large More Mustard circle which I cut in half.  Then I cut a rounded "teardrop" shape from a scrap of Cherry Cobbler.  For assembly, just take a look at my turkey (below) and it will all easily fall into place.


I love this turkey!  Of course the 7/8" Cotton Ribbon looks wonderful stamped in Early Espresso with that new Seasonal Sayings stamp set.  This was so much more fun than having three cobs of corn!

Of course the next big project on my agenda is to make a Winter Frame.  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.