Wednesday 24 July 2013

Small Sweet Notes---Fun to make and receive!

The majority of cards that I make are 4 1/4" x 5 1/2".  They may be conventional folds, fancy folds, or even hybrid cards, but usually I use that sizing for my cards.  Occasionally I make larger cards, especially for my WOW classes or special events.  It occurred to me that I seldom make smaller cards and yet a nice small note is just perfect to enclose in a package to someone or to slip in among the flowers in a bouquet.  And so, of course, I had to make one.

This card uses one of my new favourites from the 2013/14 Annual Catalogue, the Backyard Basics bundle (available in wood or clear).  I love that the bundled stamp set and matching framelits give you a 15% dfiscount!  For this card I used the tulip stamp from the set and stamped it using Stazon black ink on Whisper White cardstock three times.  After colouring the tulips with my Stampin' Write markers, I used the tulip framelit and my Big Shot to cut them out.   Then I used the third smallest of the Window Frames Collection framelits to cut out a piece of Whisper White cardstock and then put the window shape through the Big Shot using the brand new, beautiful Pretty Print embossing folder that will be available in the Holiday Catalogue beginning August 1st.  (I can see myself using that embossing folder a lot in the coming months!)

I cut a piece of 3 1/4" x 3 1/4" Smoky Slate cardstock (love that new colour) and embossed it using the Perfect Polka Dots folder.  Then I adhered the piece to my base cardstock of Naturals White using the SNAIL adhesive.  I also used the SNAIL to adhere the window shape, centred on the Smoky Slate.

For the tulips, first I took a 4" piece of Whisper White Stitched Grosgrain ribbon and adhered it with one Glue Dot near the bottom, inside the Whisper White window shape.  Then I adhered my first tulip directly to the window shape at an angle and the second tulip was also adhered at an angle but the head of the tulip was raised using a Dimensional.   The third tulip was centred and mounted on strips of Dimensionals all the way down from the head to its stem.  Then I tied the ribbon in a little knot to make it appear as if the bouquet was tied together.


Really, this was such a simple card, despite the lengthy directions.  It was such fun to make and I'm definitely going to make more of this size.  Sometimes small can be every bit as special as large.

Oh---just a "heads up".  I am participating in a Blog Hop which will begin Thursday, July 25th at 7 p.m. and continue until July 28th.  I hope you'll enjoy visiting my blog as well as all the other blogs that will be a part of this "hop".

2 comments:

  1. Hi Heidi,
    Pulled this up on my screen the other day and just sat and looked at it for awhile. Totally forgot to stop and tell you how much I like this card. I really do. It's serenity and simplicity really speak to me. Would you mind if I used it as a screen saver? Thanks for increasing my wishlist. What else are friends for...right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean, Thanks for the lovely compliment. I'm enjoying the subtlety of the Smoky Slate and am so very glad it's been added to our Neutrals. Actually, it could easily have been called Dove Grey but for the lack of alliteration. I like the composition of this card but what really makes it for me is the backdrop of peaceful grey. I'm glad you like it and, of course, you're welcome to have it on your screen if you want it.

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.