Sunday 25 August 2013

August Open House Projects---Introducing the holidays!

Two down!  That's right, I've finished with two of my three Open House days and I'm still alive to talk about it.  And they were so much fun!

Friday's Open House was the hardest because I was still getting ready and even prepping the make-n-takes right until the last moment.  If Shera-Lee hadn't gotten up on her white steed and ridden to my rescue wearing her silver armour, who knows if the Open House would even have gotten off the ground.  But she did and the rest is history.  Daughters are such wonderful creatures, but none quite so wonderful as my own Shera-Lee.

The only downer to Friday's Open House was that I was constantly looking out the window.  What was I looking for?  My small order from Stampin' Up! which included the just-introduced Envelope Punch Board as well as two of the brand new Single Stamps and the Circle Flip Card Thinlit had been scheduled for Thursday delivery.  This was Friday and I had hoped to at least show a couple of samples made with those brand new items and even by the end of the make-n-takes the UPS truck still hadn't shown up.  Fretting is a mild way to describe my state of mind.

Just as I was about to give up completely and was resigned to a Monday delivery, the doorbell rang and my parcel arrived.   The attendees of my Open House were just finishing their orders and I was able to rip open the box and show off my goodies.  As a treat, I cut out a Flip Card for each of them so that they could play with it at home.

I gave you a little sneak peek of what we did as make-n-takes and promised a how-to post.  Well, here comes number one.

The first project was the Christmas card.  The new products from the Holiday Catalogue showcased in the card were the Silver Foil paper, "Merry" from the Expressions Thinlits Dies, paper from the Winter Frost Specialty Designer Series Paper, the Silver Metallic Encore ink pad, a snowflake using the Festive Flurry Bundle, and the Pretty Print Textured Impressions Embossing Folder.  I love it when you can put a whole bunch of new products into one creation!


The card is easy enough.  We start with a base of 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" Naturals White cardstock, scored down the centre to make a 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" card.  Next we have a 4" x 5 1/4" piece of Midnight Muse which we put through the Big Shot using the Pretty Print embossing folder.  There are two strips measuring 1 3/4" x 5 1/4" one of which is Whisper White and the other is the starburst pattern from the Winter Frost Designer Paper.  We take the strip of Whisper White and centre the Delicate Designs embossing folder on it and run it through the Big Shot.  Then we cut the edges which were not embossed using the new Rotary Addition on the Stampin' Trimmer with the small Scallop Cutting Blade installed.   I love the pretty border that the blade gives the embossed strip!

Before assembling, you can either gently sponge a bit of silver across the embossed Midnight Muse to bring out the pretty print texture or just leave it.  Either way it looks wonderful.  After adhering the Midnight Muse to the base, I adhered the Designer Paper approximately 1/2" from the bottom edge and then centred the embossed Whisper White on that.

The next step was to show off the wonderful Magnetic Platform.  We stamped a small piece of Midnight Muse using a snowflake stamp from the Festive Flurry stamp set and the Silver Encore ink pad.  Love the way the silver just pops against the deep blue cardstock!  Then we took the matching Festive Flurry framelit and cut that stamped snowflake out effortlessly.  The framelit didn't move at all.  Using the same framelit, we each also cut another snowflake from the Silver Glimmer paper.


The snowflakes were each mounted on dimensionals at the top right corner.  First the Glimmer snowflake was mounted on dimensionals and then the stamped one, also on dimensionals but turned slightly to show off the snowflake underneath.  In the centre of the stamped snowflake, we adhered a large rhinestone.

The card already looked pretty but we still needed to use the Expressions thinlit die.  That one went through the Big Shot on a strip of the Silver Foil paper.  It was easy to get the "Merry" out using the piercing tool.  We ran some Two-Way Glue along the letters and it adhered perfectly to the embossed Whisper White strip.


It took me longer to type the instructions than it did for us to make the card.  It looks absolutely gorgeous, doesn't it?  And yet it really wasn't much work.  Everyone loved it during the Friday Open House as well as my Saturday Open House.


Tomorrow I'll post the instructions for our cute Hallowe'en make-n-take box.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.