Sunday 11 August 2013

Shakespeare did "scary" well.

Remember when the witches on MacBeth chanted:

                                         Eye of newt, toe of frog,
                                                wool of bat, tongue of dog...
                                         For a charm of powerful trouble
                                                like a hell-broth
                                         Boil and bubble.

Only Shakespeare could write an incantation so powerful that it remains the focus of endless discussions by scholars around the world.  And now it is part of the Stampin' Up! lineup of stamps for Hallowe'en.  Changing only two of the words, hell-broth, to Witch's Brew, Stampin' Up! embellished the incantation with symbols, skulls and bats to provide a wonderful border to the famous words.

I love the stamp set.  I also love those little pillow boxes as you've surely gathered from my posts.  Well, how about combining two things that I love for a truly amazing Hallowe'en gift box?

Using the printed sheet from the Witch's Brew Designer Paper, I cut the pillow box and assembled it.  I love mixing deep purple and green together for Hallowe'en.  This incantation, especially, seemed to cry out for the colours because you can just about imagine the green froth on top of a deep purple liquid.  I stamped the incantation on Wild Wasabi using black ink and cut it out using the matching framelit from my Apothecary Accents collection.  Then I mounted that on a piece of Elegant Eggplant which I had cut with one of my Oval Framelits.

To finish the little box off, I added the Hallowe'en tag from the brand new Tags 4 You stamp set, using the co-ordinating punch to cut it out.  I love the way the black ink "pops" on the Pumpkin Pie paper, don't you?


 This whole project only took me about twenty minutes from beginning to end.  Wouldn't it make a wonderful Hallowe'en gift for the teacher?

2 comments:

  1. Love the Shakespeare angle on the quote Miss Heidi. Makes Halloween so much less scary. SU's messing with the Bard reminds me of the time I set that speech to House of the Rising Sun music for a drama class exercise. Poor Shakespeare...whatever would he think of what we've done with his words. Love your pillowboxes. Makes a great package for those treats to ward off tricks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jean. I'm amused that those words had to be changed but understand that if "freaking" can cause such a stir, the word "hell" would have likely brought the entire business to a standstill. I'd love to have heard the witches' incantation set to the House of the Rising Sun music. Shakespeare was quite the rebel in his own time. I think he'd love to know his works haven't just been kept under lock and key but have been enjoyed in myriad different ways.

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.