Tuesday 24 December 2013

Using Window Sheets

At some point during the past few weeks I came across a poinsettia that someone had made using a Window Sheet.  It was, if I remember correctly, in golds and reds primarily but I'm sure that a layer of the poinsettia was made from the Window Sheet material---unless it was vellum.

Anyway, the look of the flower obviously made an impression and my mind began "percolating" and designing in the background while I went through my normal life.  And then it was finished and demanded that I create an icy poinsettia: all layered with silvers, blues, and the requisite Window Sheets.  As I thought my way through the flower, I could tell it would be very wintery.

My first layer for the poinsettia was on Silver Glimmer paper.  I had to stamp the image of the poinsettia from the Joyful Christmas stamp set on the reverse side of the Glimmer Paper and then cut it out along the stamped lines.  To me the shape and texture looked very much like the hoarfrost that one sees covering the world on some winter days.  I decided to stamp the same image on a Window Sheet with Versamark and then heat embossed it with my Silver embossing powder.  Of course that flower also had to be cut out.  Those first two layers were of the full-sized poinsettia.



My next two layers were going to be just the centre of the poinsettia.  The first one I heat embossed in Pool Party on a sheet of Silver Foil paper and then the second one I heat embossed in Silver embossing powder on another Window Sheet.  I cut both of those smaller flowers out as well.  Yes, there was a lot of hand-cutting with this particular design.

I decided to use Pool Party cardstock for the base of my card and then cut a layer of Island Indigo cardstock.  For my next layer I chose Whisper White cardstock but for that one I used my Pretty Print textured embossing folder.  To assemble the flower I used dimensionals between each layer after first rolling the petals between my thumb and Bone Folder to add some curves and depth.  Finally, in the centre of the top flower layer, I adhered one of those gorgeous Frosted Finishes embellishments (if you love those as much as I do, don't forget to buy some before they disappear forever on January 3rd).

Finally I heat embossed Noel from the Greetings of the Season stamp set using Pool Party embossing powder on a piece of Window Sheet.  Add some Pool Party Seam Binding ribbon, and the card needed nothing more.


What do you think?



1 comment:

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.