Thursday 8 May 2014

Mixing it up

Sometimes an idea is only a piece of paper away.  I'm not just saying that---this is actually how this card was designed.  I saw a piece of Fancy Foil Designer Vellum on my crafting table.  It was just a piece that was left over from another project and it appealed to me.  I really like the look of that Designer Vellum anyway, but when I saw that piece, I knew I wanted to use it in my next design.  Close by was a partial sheet of Watercolor Wonder Designer Series Paper.  The Tangerine Tango and Crushed Curry in the flowers gave me my colour palette.

Looking around the room I zeroed in on my Banner Framelit Dies.  I have all my Framelits and Thinlits up on  the wall, stuck to magnetic sheets and find that inspiration often comes when I look at them.  I'm very visual that way and probably wouldn't use my framelits half as often if they were filed away.  In this case the Banner Framelits inspired me.

I chose a base cardstock in Naturals White because the Tangerine Tango is such a strong colour.  For the Tangerine Tango, I turned to my Brights Core'dinations.  After putting the piece through my Big Shot using the Stylish Stripes embossing folder.  A bit of sanding made the diagonal stripes stand out beautifully.  They matched the diagonal stripes in the Fancy Foil Designer Vellum that I was using.  Instead of simply putting a rectangle or a square of the fancy vellum onto the Core'dinations, I cut it using the largest of the Banners Framelits.  Even then I wound up cutting it about an inch shorter.  On top of that I layered another piece of Core'dinations cut with the third largest Banner Framelit.  I put that banner piece through the Big Shot using my Decorative Dots embossing folder and then lightly sanded it.  On top of that I layered two banners in Gold Foil, cut with the smallest of the Banner Framelits.

Now for the piece of Watercolor Wonder Deisnger Series Paper that had caught my attention.  I loved the watercolour flowers that covered the paper and, instead of hand-cutting them, decided that they would probably fit quite well into the Pansy Punch.  I was right!  They were an almost perfect fit.  After cutting out two of the Tangerine Tango flowers, I decided to do the same with the Crushed Curry flowers.  For them, however, I chose to use the little Petite Petals punch.  I attached the flowers with dimensionals in a random "scattered" pattern across the banners and then adhered pearls to the centres.

For my sentiment I turned to the little heart from the Hearts a Flutter Framelits and the "hello" from the "A Dozen Thoughts" stamp set.  A bit of sponging with Tangerine Tango ink and Crushed Curry ink helped the heart fit perfectly into the colour scheme.


To finish it off, I added a tiny pearl to the centre of the "o" in "hello".

And that is the card that I created after seeing that piece of Fancy Foil Designer Vellum.  You never know where an idea is going to come from.



2 comments:

  1. Such a super pretty card!!! Love all the color and dimension. You rock!

    ReplyDelete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.