Monday 13 October 2014

SMILE --- two challenges: a colour and a sketch!

That sweet single stamp, A Little Smile, is such fun to use.  Not only can it be the theme of the entire card but it can also be used in parts simply by inking only portions.  That's what I've done with this card.  Because I wanted to use the stamp but because of the sketch there was only a small rectangle in which it could be used, I had to get creative.  I'm glad that I did because it opens a whole lot of possibilities with that stamp that I hadn't considered before.

The sketch that I followed is from the Sunday Stamps Challenge:

But I wanted to use the colours from the Stampin' Royalty Challenge for the card:


Since I had also decided to use the A Little Smile stamp, I felt almost as if I had painted myself into a corner.  But I do like challenges and was determined to make this work.

For my base I used Naturals White.  Then I added a layer of Blackberry Bliss, a layer of Sahara Sand, and then a layer of the Blackberry Bliss floral design from the Park Lane Designer Paper which I first cut diagonally before adding.

For the smaller rectangle I used a base of Naturals White, then a layer of Soft Sky and finally a layer of Whisper White that I had stamped using a portion of the A Little Smile stamp.  I stopped partway up the poles each hedgehog held to have the image fit the rectangle.  Then I stamped the "SMILE" from the stamp onto another bit of Whisper White using Blackberry Bliss ink.  I cut around that to make a banner, sponged the perimeter with Soft Sky ink and then attached it on Dimensionals to appear as if it was attached to the poles.

I coloured the hedgehogs with my Sahara Sand Stampin' Marker and the flowers with my Soft Sky and Blackberry Bliss Stampin' Markers.  Then I attached the smaller rectangle to the rest of the card with Dimensionals.   To finish up I added a small banner in Soft Sky with a heart punched into it and also three Rhinestones which I first coloured using the darkest of my Rich Razzleberry Blendabilities (because the darkest colour is almost identical to the Blackberry Bliss).


For more cards using these colours, check out Stampin' Royalty.

For more cards using this sketch, check out Sunday Stamps.

6 comments:

  1. I love the hedgehogs! I don't know what makes these little critters so cute but they are! Thanks for joining us at Sunday Stamps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comments, Angel. I think the hedgehogs have the most darling faces.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Angel--these hedgehogs are super cute! I love the colors you chose to use with the sketch also. Thanks for playing along with us at Sunday Stamps this week--please join us again soon!
    :) Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marie. I wasn't sure of the colours at first but love the results. Colour challenges (as well as sketch challenges) can help push one out of one's comfort zone and into more creative paths. I'm finding that since I began doing challenges this spring, my cards have definitely changed and become more creative.

      Delete
  3. Those hedgehogs are adorable and perfectly showcased with our sketch! Thanks so much for joining us at Sunday Stamps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Brenda. I'm happy that the elements of the stamp work so well outside the stamp. It means I'll use it more, especially those adorable hedgehogs.

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.