Friday 29 May 2015

FM211 -- Happy Heart

The new Friday Mashup Challenge is a bittersweet one.  This is my last challenge as a Guest Designer for the Friday Mashup.  It's been fun and I'll miss being part of the team.  On the other hand this challenge is all about watercolouring which I love.  Of course I want to do the "mashup" which means combining the watercolouring with the sketch.

Sketch or Watercolour or Both

My first impulse was to create a scene.  For that I used the Watercolour Paper and stamped it with two of the images from the retiring Moon Lake stamp set and the forever current Lovely as a Tree stamp set.  In order to ensure that the images didn't obscure each other, I made masks and then stamped the next image.  The stamping was the hard part.  Watercolouring was so much more fun and, as a result, easier.


And then I second-guessed myself.  Shouldn't I use a watercolour technique that might appeal to more people?  Everyone, after all, isn't anxious to begin creating a whole landscape.  And so I began with card number two.  I suppose it would be called a watercolour emboss resist technique since, after stamping the image from the Moon Lake stamp set using Memento black ink, I proceeded to stamp the sentiment and a whole scattering of hearts with Versamark and then heat embossed them with white embossing powder.

The colours I used across the embossed area were Mint Macaron and Watermelon Wonder.  The image was covered with a pre-stamped and cut out mask so that I could colour it "normal" colours.  I like the way that worked.  The boat is another new colour:  Delightful Dijon.  I love it!  It's quite organic---not really a yellow and not quite an orange, either.  In fact, I liked the new colour so much that I used it as my base cardstock, to colour the boat, to create shadows for my sentiment with my Stampin' Marker, to cut three hearts from the cardstock to cover three embossed hearts, and, last but not least, to dye a piece of White Baker's Twine.  You can see the twine wrapped around the bottom of the card and tied in a small bow.


I hope you'll join us this week at the Friday Mashup Challenge.

4 comments:

  1. You did an amazing job with your water coloring. Such a pretty card and the color combo is perfect! Thanks for being a guest designer at The Friday Mashup with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Cynthia. I enjoyed my time during May. You were all so supportive.

      Delete
  2. I love both cards...but the 2nd one really speaks to me! I love the abstract nature of the background, and how you did the sentiment is genius! Adding that tip to my stamping tool box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim. Sometimes "need" brings on attractive solutions. I found the white embossing simply wasn't as vivid as I had hoped and so turned to another way to make it "pop". The Delightful Dijon is subtle enough to work without overwhelming the rest of the card.

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.