Thursday 21 April 2016

The Wacky Watercooler April Blog Hop --- Celebrating the Retiring 2014-16 In-Colours


It's time for another Wacky Watercooler Blog Hop.  Soon the 2014-16 In-Colors will be retiring and so we're featuring them this April.  It seems like just yesterday that they were introduced.  I still haven't tired of the lovely, concentrated colours, especially that wonderful Blackberry Bliss.

On top of that, since we had so much fun last year CASEing each other for one of the blog hops, we decided to do it again this month.  The person whose name I drew was Gail Allen which delighted me because I love her creativity.  Maybe I should explain that CASE means "copy and share everything".  So when we find a card or project that we would like to copy, we do so but we put our own "spin" on it so that it's not just a carbon copy.

As you will remember, if you've wandered through our blog hops before, our blog hop is presented in a circular fashion.  What does that mean?  Wherever you begin in our blog hop, whether you go forwards or backwards through the participants, eventually you will wind up precisely where you began.  I hope you'll take time to visit all the participating blogs and, perhaps, leave a short message letting us know  what you've thought of our posts.

If you've been moving forwards through the blog hop, you'll have arrived here from the very creative Bev  Weren't her projects terrific?

* * * * * * * * * * 

What drew me to Gail's card was its layout and also the beautiful flower which she showcased.  Well, that flower has since retired, but the gorgeous flower from the You've Got This stamp set is perfect to take its place.

Gail's card (June 1st, 2014)

Just like Gail, I used a base of Mossy Meadow and added a layer of Hello Honey after cutting the cardstock using my Scallop Top Tag punch and cutting away the excess.  To the inside of the card, I also added a layer of Whisper White while on the front of the card, I used a piece of the Wildflower Fields Designer Series Paper which was only available during Sale-a-bration.  Before attaching the designer paper, I stamped leaves from the Choose Happiness stamp set using Mossy Meadow ink.

On a separate piece of Shimmery White cardstock, I stamped the flower from the You've Got This stamp set using Basic Black Archival ink and then fussy-cut it out.  With my Aquapainter and Blackberry Bliss ink, I watercoloured the flower and then added some Hello Honey to the centre.  For a bit of a highlight, I also added a bit of the gold Wink of Stella as well as a bit of white from my Signo Pen.  As a final touch I stamped my sentiment at the top right corner of the inside and tied a bow to hold the card shut using the retired Mossy Meadow Stitched Satin Ribbon.

So you can see my Case of Gail's card is the same, but different.  I'm going to miss these wonderful In-Colors!

* * * * * * * * * * 

For my second project I only used one of the retiring In-Colors, the Mossy Meadow, while creating my annual card for Earth Day.

I really wish Stampin' Up! would create a stamp set for Earth Day.  As it was I had to find an "earth" and "day" of similar sized fonts to use for my banner.  The other stamped sentiment is from the Project Life set, Remember This.


Stamps:  Sheltering Tree, Love You More (retired), Project Life Remember This
Inks: Mossy Meadow, Pear Pizzazz, Marina Mist, Watermelon Wonder, Tip Top Taupe
Cardstock: Whisper White (heavy), Whisper White, Marina Mist, Pear Pizzazz

* * * * * * * * * * 

For my final project, I've used all five of the retiring In-Colors.  My uncle passed away this week and so I needed a card for my aunt.  They've both always loved the outdoors and hiking before he became ill and so it seemed natural to include some of that in the card.   I used a base of Basic Black and then added a layer of Whisper White.  Then, taking a piece of Shimmery White specialty cardstock, I began building my image.  Using the Basic Black Archival ink, I stamped the beautiful reeds from the Wetlands stamp set multiple times to create a feeling of being at the edge of a lake.  Then I used my Stampin' Markers to add Hello Honey to the tops of the reeds and Mossy Meadow to the stems.  

Using a circle mask, I sponged in the Tangelo Twist  well above the reeds, to give the impression of a setting sun.  After removing the mask, I sponged Hello Honey over the "sun" and beside it as well as in streaks beneath it.  I also added some Tangelo Twist to the streaks beneath it.  After that I used my Aquapainter and Lost Lagoon ink to add the water above the reeds and below the sun.  

Finally I used my sponges to add a lot of deep colour which became lighter as I sponged in from the perimeter.  To the lower area  of the card, I sponged in Mossy Meadow and to the upper area of the card, I sponged in the Lost Lagoon.  A few squiggly lines with my Signo Uni Ball White Pen and "ripples" appeared on the water.

I added a butterfly using the smallest image from the Watercolor Wings set adding Blackberry Bliss and Hello Honey inks plus a bit of Wink of Stella.    The final touch is the sentiment which is from the Thoughts and Prayers set.

* * * * * * * * * * 

And that's it for my projects.  I hope you've enjoyed them as much as I enjoyed creating them.  From here you'll be returning to the beginning of the circle again, and another wonderfully creative stamper, Deborah Smart.

If you get a moment, I'd love it if you would leave a comment.








14 comments:

  1. Heidi, so sorry about your uncle. And what a work of art you created in that card - I'm sure your aunt will cherish it. And thank you for the gorgeous CASE you did of my card. Your version looks very fresh with the Blackberry Bliss bloom and the dandelion pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Gail. I had such a lot of trouble finding something from your posts to CASE. I had a list of nearly a dozen and had to keep whittling them down. You have some gorgeous projects which begged me to CASE them.

      Delete
    2. Heidi, your CASE is lovely, and I love your Earth Day card. But the sympathy card was breathtaking. So lovely! I'm so sorry about your uncle. Wishing your entire family peace and comfort!

      Delete
  2. Heidi I really like your fresh take on Gail's exquisite card. The floral image is perfect and the dandelion dsp just adds a special touch. I have to agree with you about the need for "earth day" stamp images. Stampin' Up! if you're watching make note...there's a need. The Sheltering Tree works really well in this card. When I cam to your third card, I was speechless. What a wonderful tribute to your uncle and aunt. Such beautiful artwork. You can really tell it came from your heart. Please accept my condolences for your loss and thanks so much for sharing your beautiful projects on this hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Penny. I'll miss that dandelion dsp. It worked so well as a background and is so simple. Most dsp takes over. I left a note about Earth Day in the Sandbox. For the third year running.

      Delete
  3. Heidi, my sympathy to you and your family on the loss of your uncle :( You made an absolutely gorgeous sympathy card, that I'm sure your aunt will cherish. Your CASE card is fabulous, and you're right - we need an earth day stamp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb. I've been saying that in the Sandbox. This week I also wrote to Stampin' Up!, trying to convince them that if Earth Day is recognized in 193 countries, it is worth a stamp set.

      Delete
  4. Heidi, I am so sorry to hear your uncle passed. What a beautiful card you made for you aunt in memory of him. I am sure your aunt will treasure it. You chose a gorgeous card to CASE, and made an equally gorgeous card yourself. (I'm going to have to CASE you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marie. I loved using those retiring colours.

      Delete
  5. Great projects, Heidi! Your CASEd card is very pretty. Appreciate your Earth Day card, very clever. Love your sympathy card. It is gorgeous. Your aunt will appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marsha. I'll miss the wonderful deep tones of those in-colors. I know you will, too.

      Delete
  6. I have to start with your beautiful, peaceful, respectful sympathy card. Just SO lovely--I'm sure your aunt will feel the love you put into it.
    You definitely have a gift for coloring--your CASE card is a work of art--the flower almost feels real! And your Earth Day card is adorable; great idea to put your "earth" on the tree--made me smile!
    Lovely work, as always, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Priscilla. I love watercolouring with the Aquapainter. Actually I have to admit that I like it more than using the Blendabilities. I found they "ran" into each other too often. I'll miss the wonderful depth and richness of our retiring In-Colors. I'll be keeping them for my own use.

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.