Wednesday 12 October 2016

WWC89 - Thank You


I love colour challenges, especially when there is some bling involved.  So, of course, Penny's colour challenge for this week's Watercooler Wednesday Challenge is right up my alley.


Look at those colours!  They're elegant AND there is the added "bling" of Silver.  What could be better?  Actually I was tempted to simply make a card using those wonderful acorns.  But how imaginative would that have been?

And so I turned to my framelits for inspiration.  Of course with all that was going on last week plus Thanksgiving this weekend, I left this card until the very last minute.  Panic and inspiration don't always mix well.  My mind kept jumping from one possibility to the next until I was ready to pack it in and forget about the challenge altogether.  But I didn't.  Instead I decided to use one of the Birds & Blooms thinlits to cut a piece of Tip Top Taupe.  It was okay but needed something so I sponged around the perimeter using Tip Top Taupe ink which deepened the colour and gave it more dimension.  I really liked the pattern of the die-cuts in the bird and so I carefully coloured them using my Tip Top Taupe Stampin' Marker, being careful not to dislodge them from their places.  I liked it even more after that.

I wanted some background interest but I didn't want to emboss the whole piece of Whisper White and so I hand cut two heavy pieces of cardboard into ovals, laid them on top of each other, and used them instead of the bottom plate when I ran the Whisper White through the Big Shot using the Woodland embossing folder.  The result?  An oval of embossing.   I lightly sponged the embossed trees and branches using Tip Top Taupe to define them better.  I also used my AquaPainter to add a light wash of Soft Sky between the embossed trees.

I stamped the branch from the Best Birds set on Whisper White using Tip Top Taupe and also stamped several blossoms as well.  After using the Birds & Blooms thinlits to cute them all out, I used my AquaPainter to add Tip Top Taupe to the branch and Soft Sky to the blossoms and leaves.  After assembling everything, I stamped the sentiment from the Rose Wonder set in the upper right corner using Tip Top Taupe.  A scattering of tiny silver stars (thanks to the Umbrella Weather framelits) and the card was done.


I hope you'll check out the other creations by the Watercooler Artists for our Watercooler Wednesday Challenge.  I look forward to seeing your card linked up this week.

2 comments:

  1. Heidi this card is simply stunning! Can't believe you created it at the last minute, as it looks like you spent a long time coming up with all the elements for the perfect card. I love the oval embossing with the Woodland EF, it's just the right amount of trees to showcase behind this beautiful bird. Thanks for enabling me to see why I need the Birds and Blooms bundle. It's the second time you've used it in a challenge that has stirred my "needy" thoughts. Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Penny. I think I like the thinlits more than the stamped images of the birds. But I do use the stamped images of the flowers and branch. The whole "stylized" version appeals to me. I had been wanting to do just a portion of a sheet with an ef anyway and this seemed like the perfect opportunity. The Woodlands lends itself well to just being partially there.

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.