Tuesday 23 July 2013

Meeting the Challenge

I've never entered a card-making challenge before.  Today I joined one---it's a colour challenge and I'm excited about it.  How it works is that the person in charge presents three colours and a time limit during which those three colours become the main focus of a card.  The three colours chosen were:
The good thing is that I like the three colours.  They're fresh and happy looking and immediately reminded me of a flower garden (or in this case, flower shop).  What better way to show off the colours than to make them into beautiful flowers using the Flower Shop stamp set and the matching Pansy Punch?

You can buy the Flower Shop stamp set alone or as a bundle with the Pansy Punch.   I think it makes a lot more sense to get the bundle because that way one can save 15%, and who doesn't like to save money?

I decided to use the Coastal Cabana cardstock as my base.  Then I cut a smaller piece of Whisper White and stamped the "Love You" from the Seasonal Sayings stamp set towards the right lower part of the paper using Coastal Cabana ink.  I didn't want to leave the little heart in the stamped image that colour so I took a bit of Crisp Cantaloupe cardstock and punched out the heart using my Owl Builder punch.

After that I stamped a flower onto the Whisper White using Crisp Cantaloupe ink and then another two using Wisteria Wonder ink.  I knew I couldn't leave it like that because I wanted some dimension to the card.  So I took another piece of Whisper White cardstock and stamped another three flowers using Crisp Cantaloupe ink and another two using the Wisteria Wonder.  If you're keeping count that comes to a total of eight flowers.  Those last five that I stamped on a separate piece of the Whisper White were cut out using the handy Pansy punch.  I scattered those across the card using dimensionals.

Not bad but it still needed something.  So I used the tiny flower punch from the Itty Bitty Shapes Punch Pack and punched out eight tiny Coastal Cabana flowers.  I adhered those to the centres of the flowers using dimensionals.  To top it all off I took out my Rhinestones and went to town adding them to the centres of the flowers and the heart and then to two of the corners.


Now there's a card that's up to a challenge!  Love the colours!  Love the happiness of the whole design.  What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Great card Heidi. That is a great color combo. I will have to try and use it sometime.

    I just found your blog because I was checking spam comments and your comment was sent there. :( Other wise I would have commented sooner.

    I look forward to searching your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you just love the way your mail server decides some stuff is spam and yet some totally unwanted stuff still gets through to the "normal" mail? You have to wonder. Thanks, it's not a colour combo I would have reached for but I'm glad I tried the challenge. The card turned out better than I expected. Welcome to my blog. :)

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.