Monday 21 July 2014

A little fun with challenges

I'm thrilled to say that this card was chosen as a Pals Paper Arts Pick.

Sometimes you just have to have fun, right?  I found a sketch that made me think of birdhouses, of all things.  What do I have that looks like birdhouses?  Certainly not a stamp.  But wait!  You know what could pass as a birdhouse?  The fat arrow from the What's Up? punch.  As soon as I thought of that, I knew what I wanted to do.

I decided to keep myself to some set colours and so found a colour challenge.  It's more fun to force oneself to discover a way to make colours one wouldn't pick work for a project.  The colours that I would be using for this challenge would be Daffodil Delight, Strawberry Slush and Coastal Cabana.

I decided to have my base cardstock be Naturals White.  On top of that I layered some Coastal Cabana and then a layer of Whisper White.  I stamped the Whisper White with one of the Work of Art stamps to give the illusion of clouds.  The ink is Coastal Cabana off-stamped twice before finally stamping on the Whisper White so that they would be whispy and pale and not draw too much attention to themselves.  Before attaching the Coastal Cabana and Whisper White to the base, I wrapped several strands of Strawberry Slush Thick Baker's Twine around them.

Then I cut two Strawberry Slush arrows and two Daffodil Delight arrows.  I cut them apart where the base of the arrow begins.  Then I reassembled them so that I had mixed colours.  For the roofs I stamped Daffodil Delight ink on the pointy portion of the Daffodil Delight arrows using the Truly Grateful stamp set and Strawberry Slush on the pointy portions of the Strawberry Slush arrows.  On the base portion of the arrows, I drew black circles by hand.

Then I stamped the little bird from the Hello Love stamp set (Hostess) on a scrap of Whisper White using the Memento ink.  After fussy-cutting out the bird, I coloured it using my Coastal Cabana Blendabilities.

Using Dimensionals, I mounted three "birdhouses" below the Thick Baker's Twine, mixing tops and bottoms.  Two, I mounted the right way around and the third I mounted upside down.   Then I mounted the little blue bird on the upside down "birdhouse", also using Dimensionals.  Finally I added a sentiment saying "miss you already" from the Just Sayin' stamp set.

It's a funny, sweet and playful card that I had a lot of fun putting together.


This is where you can see the other cards in the Fab Friday Challenge.


This is where you can see the other cards in the Pals Paper Arts Challenge.

PPA212

12 comments:

  1. So out the the box cute! Love the little bird! Great take on the sketch.....thanks for playing this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. That little bird really is adorable, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. Awesome use for the arrow punch! Thanks for sharing with us at the Pals Paper Arts this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Dawn. It's always great to be able to find more uses for one's tools.

      Delete
  3. A picture tells a thousand words, and this card perfectly portrays missing someone. This is such a beautiful design. Love the color choices, too. Thanks for sharing with us at Pals Paper Arts this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Cindy. I appreciate your comments. It was a fun challenge.

      Delete
  4. this card is way too fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ter. I really have come to love that punch set. It's more versatile than I thought it would be.

      Delete
  5. I can't even! This is just too cute! I LOVE it!!!! It just makes me smile and I love the upside down house lol! Thanks for playing at Fab Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mindy. Your creations are always so wonderful.

      Delete
  6. Very cute card!! Love the bird!! Thanks for joining us at Fab Friday!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Brenda. Yes, that little bird just makes the card.

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.