Wednesday 20 August 2014

Clean and Simple -- A Child's Birthday

That new stamp set, Boys Will Be Boys, is simply wonderfully versatile.  I've already designed three completely different cards with it and haven't had it for much more than a month.  It's funny how a stamp set can have so much appeal at times and keep on giving you inspiration, isn't it?

Two challenges came along, both asking for CAS (clean and simple) designs.  That could be interpreted as being a single layer card or a very simple multi-layer card.  What you don't want to see is all sorts of embellishments and "frou-frous".  I kept my card to a single layer design with a background of several colours of cardstock frames.

My base cardstock is Cherry Cobbler with a skinny layer of Daffodil Delight and another skinny layer of Pacific Point.  I wanted the colour but not a wide "frame" of each.  What I wanted to focus the most attention on was the stamped Whisper White layer.  For that I first stamped the little robot and then the Lego pieces just below it to the right.  I only inked one piece of the Lego stamp in order to get the one Lego lying just below the robot to the left.  From the Sketched Birthday stamp set, I took the balloon stamp and carefully stamped it to the left of the robot.  Then I extended the "string" with a black marker so that it appeared to be held by the robot.  I also used the marker to draw in floor lines on either side of the robot.

All the colouring was done with Blendabilities except for the floor which I gave a colour wash with my Aqua Painter and some Pistachio Pudding ink.  It's a clean and simple one-layer card which I think any child would be thrilled to receive.




For more clean and simple cards, check out The Paper Players whose theme is "A Child's Birthday".

For more clean and simple cards where anything goes, check out Addicted to Stamps and More.

And finally I added this card to the East Wind Challenge Blog.

24 comments:

  1. Adorable! What little boy wouldn't LOVE this card!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi, this is amazing! I liked this set for a kids card the minutes saw it, and you've done a great job using it! Thanks for playing with the Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mike. I really appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  3. Totally awesome card Heidi. You've turned this piece into art work! TFS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Penny. I really am enjoying this stamp set. I hadn't expected to like it quite as much as I do, but it's fun to put together little "children's book images" and use a lot of primary colours. It's relaxing---something I hadn't expected.

      Delete
  4. This is wonderful!!! I LOVE that image!! I love it!! Love love love that image!! So many kids are into the Lego Robotics clubs now too! My youngest was in it in Elementary School. This is perfect for that too!! LOVE IT!! Thanks so much for playing along with us at The East Wind!!! Good Luck! I hope I see you again for our next challenge :)

    - Susan, DT Member @ The East Wind
    {Scrap A Thousand Words}
    Open-Minded Crafting Fun Challenges

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Susan! Thank you for the terrific comments. I love this set, too. I really enjoyed making it into a one-layered scene for a change.

      Delete
  5. I was hoping someone would use this set.....it's just perfect for boys, and you've colored and layered it so well!! Thanks for playing with my PP challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, LeAnne. I love your challenges and jumped at the chance to do a clean and simple with this set.

      Delete
  6. A perfect boys card, love how you matched the layered card colours to the lego bricks.
    Thanks for sharing with us at ATSM this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Julie. I really had fun making this card.

      Delete
  7. Heidi, what a perfect card for any Lego Lover! I love your coloring and and the colors you used! Thank you for joining us at The Paper Players this week! XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Claire. I enjoy joining your challenges.

      Delete
  8. Great CAS card, Heidi. I love the great colour co-ordination throughout and the background shading really makes it. Perfect boy card, which are sometimes sooo difficult! Thanks for joining in at ATSM this week, Anita x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for all those wonderful comments. I appreciate them.

      Delete
  9. Very fun card for a little boy! Well done, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Marie-Josee. This was a card I loved making.

      Delete
  10. What a fabulous card - love it! And thank you so much for your lovely comment on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you made this set look SOOO much better than I thought it was! I love your coloring and your layering with the legos the way you have them stacked is so much fun. I think I need this set for my little boys now! lol Thanks for sharing with us at ATSM. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Shana. Actually I didn't immediately take to this stamp set, either, but my daughter thought it was absolutely perfect and I decided to invest in it. I've made several cards with it so far and had rave reviews. So I guess my first impression was a dud. :)

      Delete
  12. Fabulous, love that stamp set! I'm so sorry I'm late with my comment! I love your card and thank you for sharing at The East Wind! Mo xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maureen, thanks so much. I loved making the card.

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.