Tuesday 9 September 2014

Playing with Clay -- Hello Fall!

*I'm thrilled to have this card picked for the Fab Faves at the Fab Friday Challenges*

I really loved the Simply Pressed Clay when it was released last year.  I've made buttons and flowers and a few other items such as eggs and pussy-willows.  But there are so many other things that are possible with the clay and I'm just beginning to scratch the surface.

If you follow my non-SU! blog, you'll know that I've fallen head-over-heels for modelling paste.  I love what I can do with it using my stencils and masks.  Inevitably I  had to ask myself if I could do anything like that using the Simply Pressed Clay.  Of course I had to try it out.  I had cut out a few leaves using my Autumn Accents Bigz die and the maple leaf negative looked like a great stencil to try out.  First I mixed up some of my Simply Pressed Clay and a half dozen or so drops of the Crushed Curry re-inker.  That made the clay rather sticky and thinner which was perfect for my plans.  I chose a piece of Chocolate Chip cardstock and attached my leaf stencil to it using Washi Tape.  Then I spread the clay across the leaf shape, using my fingers to get it right into all those little leafy corners.

I let that set for about half an hour.  Then I took off the Washi Tape and carefully peeled back the stencil.  What I really loved was that the clay stretched and curled at a few of the corners, giving it a lot more dimension and making it look more like a dried leaf found on one of my walks.  I let the clay dry on its Chocolate Chip base for a couple of days just to be sure.

I thought it was perfect for the Fab Friday challenge.  The size, after trimming the cardstock, was just right.  I used more Chocolate Chip as my base cardstock and then added a layer of Cajun Craze.  Next I cut a piece of Whisper White and Designer Series Paper to layer on top of that.  Before I added the Whisper White, however, I sponged it with Chocolate Chip, Cajun Craze, Crushed Curry and Mossy Meadow inks and also embossed it using my Woodgrain embossing folder.





The sentiment from the For All Things stamp set, two-toned Natural and Old Olive Time, and Candy Dots finish up the card nicely.

For more cards using this sketch, check out Fab Friday.


For more cards showcasing leaves, check out Curtain Call.



And last but not least, for more cards that celebrate Fall, check out The Paper Players.

16 comments:

  1. Beautifully done, Heidi. I love the combinations of pattern and texture! Thanks for playing with the Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mike. I appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I love how you did the leaf -- amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy. Yes, I'm happy with the leaf, too. I should be able to use the Simply Pressed Clay like modelling paste, too.

      Delete
  3. What a neat way to use the Simply Presses clay! I love the edges of the leaf too...so realistic. Thanks for sharing at Fab Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Amanda. It's nice to find new uses for the clay.

      Delete
  4. Oh heidi! I love it and currently wishing I had some leafy dies. I will have to try this idea with the simply clay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ter. I'm glad that I can use the Simply Pressed Clay for stuff like this. It means more of a selling point for it than just using it with the current button and flower molds.

      Delete
  5. What an absolutely gorgeous fall card! I love that leaf! Thanks for joining us at The Paper Players.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous card! I love your Fall leaf made with the clay! Such a brilliant idea! Thank you for joining us at The Paper Players this week! XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Claire. I enjoy your challenges.

      Delete
  7. That leaf is amazing - what a great way to use the Simply Pressed Clay. It makes a great focal point for your fall-themed card. Thanks so much for joining us at The Paper Players this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joanne. The Simply Pressed Clay doesn't crack, either, which is wonderful when you have it as a focal point. This was definitely a successful experiment.

      Delete
  8. Very clever....I have tried the embossing paste but I never got the clay! Looks like fun! Thanks for sharing this with us at the Paper Players this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LeAnne. I love the clay. It's so lightweight and remains "rubbery" for want of a more adequate word. I've made little eggs with it as well as a wealth of other items. Now that I see it works well with templates, I can see a whole bunch of new creations coming.

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.