Monday 13 June 2016

Country Livin'

Every once in a while a stamp set comes along that really speaks to a person.  This is what happened to me with the Country Livin' stamp set introduced in the new Stampin' Up! Annual Catalogue.  It's a simple stamp set with only three images and no sentiments but as soon as I saw it I knew I would buy it.

My father-in-law was more comfortable in cowboy boots and a cowboy hat than in anything else.  He was at home on a horse and some of my favourite memories are of my daughter sitting in the saddle in front of him, learning to be easy with those wonderful, beautiful animals.  And so I had to buy these stamps.  The boots alone sealed the deal.

As Fate would have it, three challenges converged to inspire a card using this set.  As soon as I saw the challenges, I knew what I would be creating.  It was as if I had the directions in front of me and I just followed them.  And when I was finished, the card was precisely what I had imagined.

This is a one layer card and I'm so glad that Stampin' Up! carries Heavy Whisper White cardstock.  It makes a much more substantial card than the "normal" Whisper White.  My stamping would not have looked the same using another colour as base.

First I stamped the image of the boots using the Archival Basic Gray ink on the Heavy Whisper White.  Then I stamped the same image on a piece of copy paper and fussy cut it out so that I could use it as a mask, protecting the original image from the next bit of stamping.  Once the two-way glue with which I covered the back of the copy paper had dried and was merely tacky, I carefully placed it over the original image.  Then I ripped a piece out of the remainder of the copy paper, making an oddly shaped hole in it.  I used that as a mask around the boots to protect the rest of the Heavy Whisper White while I stamped the open area using the Hardwood stamp and Archival Basic Gray ink.  Taking the copy paper away, I covered the stamped area with the piece I had originally ripped out of the copy paper, masking the stamped images.  That allowed me to stamp the splatters around the images using the Gorgeous Grunge stamp set and Bermuda Bay ink.


After using my Aqua Painter to watercolour the boots using Soft Suede and the Hardwood using Marina Mist, I stamped the sentiment in the bottom right corner in Soft Suede ink, using the Jar of Love stamp set.

The three challenges for which I've created this card are:

Colour Q  cQc#345 which provided me with the colours.
                                                  

"Less is More" LIM#280 which suggested the splatters to me.

The challenge this week is for a One Layer Card with the theme of 
Splatters

Stampin' Royalty SR#333 which called for a One Layer Card.   

                              One Layer Cards!
Create a card using only one layer!!!

23 comments:

  1. Super make and loving the splats

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic card! I love how you've created something so personal to you but with universal appeal. The layout and colours are great. Fab LIM entry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Esther. Keeping it simple spotlights those boots so much more.

      Delete
  3. Yep, the stars aligned for you! What a fabulous card, love the story behind it and you rocked all those challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful image with so much meaning behind it! Your watercolouring and added splatters are fabulous, Heidi. Thank you for sharing with us at Less is More :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great card!!!! Very impressive! I love the woodgrain with the cowboy boots. You nailed this one!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Michelle. Funny how some cards ask to be put together, isn't it?

      Delete
  6. Love this card. I saw it on the demo group on Facebook too. It's a wow card for sure! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Tracy. I appreciate that.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful card, Heidi! Thanks for explaining the masking! I especially love the wood background and the way it's done in a window of it's own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheryl. The masking took the biggest amount of time but in the end, I love the way it spotlights the boots.

      Delete
  8. Superb stamping Heidi and your masking is terrific too. Reading your post it is obvious that you had to buy that fantastic stamp. Love the combination of the boots, woodgrain and splatters. Thanks so much for joining us.
    Sharon xx
    Less is More

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sharon, for the lovely comments.

      Delete
  9. I love this!
    The placement, composition and colours are simply wonderful!
    Thanks so much
    Chrissie
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heidi, I love this card. I saw it on Pinterest and immediately loved it, then I saw you had created it and was not surprised. You do fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much, Marie. I didn't put it on Pinterest but cards find their way over there anyway, don't they. :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you so very much, Marie. I didn't put it on Pinterest but cards find their way over there anyway, don't they. :)

      Delete
  11. I love this card Heidi! It is so simple and yet uniquely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Carolynn. I love this stamp set for all its possibilities.

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.